Re: gtk-docs [was: Updated libgnomecanvas docs]

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 06:25, James Henstridge wrote:
> [cc'ing to gtk-doc-list ]
>
> Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:
>
> >All
> >
> >I've been working on SourceBase (http://sourcebase.sf.net/) which is a
> >generic parser library with support for pluggable storage backends and
> >parsers. The current set of parsers include C, C++, Java, M4, Python,
> >etc. The significant thing is that the parsers can handle comments,
> >cross-freference, inheritence and other goodies, so it should be pretty
> >easy to do everything Doxygen, gtk-doc, etc. can with a bit of effort.
> >
> >If there is interest in replacing gtk-doc with something more generic
> >and extensible, please let me know. SourceBase is pretty small (Glib is
> >the only dependency) and the parsers are pretty good (based off source
> >navigator). I'm hoping to make a release by the end of this month.
> >

> Something like this might be helpful if we wanted to expand the input
> parsing capabilities.

I'd love to see gtk-doc replaced with a much simpler doc-building tool,
which had a better C parser.

I think it should get nearly all documentation from within the source
code files, getting rid of the gtk-doc 'tmpl' files which cause a lot
of the complexity. It could add an 'include' directive to include
larger pieces of documentation into particular places if required.

So the docs would be built in one pass, making it much simpler.

Damon