Re: Ottawa - kernel hackers ...

In case it may be useful,

in RedHat 9's gnome 2.2, with a currently loaded system (complex LaTeX
document, lot's of apps opened, etc...):

$ time find ~/.gconf -name '*.xml' -exec cat {} > /dev/null \;

real    0m6.496s
user    0m0.100s
sys     0m0.400s

$ time find ~/.gconf -name '*.xml' -exec cat {} > /dev/null \;

real    0m0.572s
user    0m0.200s
sys     0m0.360s

Rui

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 17:39, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 18:04, Chipzz wrote:
> > On 27 Jun 2003, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >
> > > 	time find ~/.gconf -name '*.xml' -exec cat {} > /dev/null \;
> > >
> > > 	Which on my (warm) machine is ~8 seconds, to read 180kb of data, from
> > > cold it's substantially worse. It seems to me that some holistic idea of
> > > the scope of what the machine is being asked to do could be used at
> > > login to very substantially improve login / app start time.
> > >
> > > real    0m8.736s
> > > user    0m0.209s
> > > sys     0m0.406s
>

> real    0m8.254s
> user    0m0.170s
> sys     0m0.340s
> ----
> real    0m0.416s
> user    0m0.110s
> sys     0m0.290s
> ----
> real    0m0.419s
> user    0m0.120s
> sys     0m0.300s
>
> For me it's 8 seconds the first time, much less than that on subsequent
> attempts. I am running GNOME here.
+ So let's do it...?