Re: Ottawa - kernel hackers ...

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 06:18, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 19:36, Luis Villa wrote:
> > there; hopefully others will come and keep us company as we scheme to
> > teach the kernel people the value of a release team and bugzilla[2]. :)
>
> 	I suspect that it would be more worthwhile telling the kernel team that
> optimisations for thousand processor NUMA boxes are worse than a waste
> of time for desktop users - whose load-pattern is typically a single
> thread, gasping for data from the disk most of the time.

Really, both types of encouragement are needed. Obviously, it would be
great if technologically, kernel people cared more about the desktop
than they do. (Apparently, some are already coming around to interest in
the desktop, which is great.) But the current release process (1 year
'feature freeze' so far, lots of people expect one more year of
stabilization before it is useful) is also problematic- under the
current schedule, some kernel people could become extremely interested
in the desktop at Ottawa, and it might still be 3-4 years before any
changes they make show up in a stable release. [Of course, it would show
up in the redhat fork^Wbranch more quickly, but that's suboptimal in my
mind, even if it does mean I get it on my desktop. ;)

Luis