Re: Unbreaking the gnome clipboard

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 00:04, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> I personally agree that C# and the GNOME bindings kick ass. We're going
> to be seeing more and more C# as time goes by.

Okay

> Unfortunately, if we're talking about adding gcm to the GNOME Desktop
> Release, we can't currently have a mono dependency. When Mono matures a
> bit more we'll probably have to rejig our dependencies and redecide what
> language bindings we include in the platform; I don't think it's time to
> have that conversation yet.

Indeed. At this moment they already do kickass but are indeed
unfinished. I must admit that I frequently come across parts in
Gtk-Sharp that need lots of love before they can be declared usable for
a novice programmer. An experienced C/Gtk+ programmer can, however, use
Gtk-Sharp perfectly already (and will most likely love working with it).

> If we're adding a clipboard manager to GNOME in 2.6, it would have to be
> the C version. My opinion is that we shouldn't bring in dependencies on
> mono for a single component of our desktop at this time.

And I agree. I was not really hoping that Gcm.Net will be added to GNOME
2.6 and the decision to use C# was not easyer cause of that reason. But,
I do believe in Gtk-Sharp and Mono.The long term -and right solution for
me is to use C# and add Mono+Gtk-Sharp as dependancy.

It's also the reason why I don't want to give up on the current C
version of Clipboard Manager. If the gnome.org people are planning to
add a Clipboard Manager to Gnome 2.6 then I'd be happy to modify what
needs to be modified IF people can get me motivated to do that. And what
I have been trying to say in my WAY to long replies on this thread:
"Contributing in stead of complaining is a great way to motivate me" :-)

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org