RE: [Setup-tool-hackers] RE: 2.4: System Tools - Please try them

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 13:01, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 07:52, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
>
> > I've seen this in MacOS X and I never saw the point personally. How is it
> > easier to use them if they are icons on one big window than if they are
> > icons in a hierarchical menu? Also, doesn't this just encourage us to have
> > lots of little control panels because we can categorise them, instead of
> > having fewer sensible control panels?
>
> Yeah, I always find the categorised MacOS control panel hard to use.
> More often than not I know the name of the capplet I want to run, but
> because things aren't organised alphabetically I have to hunt around for
> it rather than homing in straight away.  (Luckily MacOSX gives you the
> option of just listing them all alphabetically too).

The key word being "I" - not Joe user ;) , Um also you say that it sucks
because you can't list them alphabetically, then you say that you can
list them alphabetically. So I'm straining to see the point. I'm not
trying to poke fun, I'm just wondering if there was a point that I
missed of that didn't quite make it out of the station...

I'm going to reserve judgment on the control-center-plus until we have
some source code and I can actually use it. But one _large_ problem with
viewing preferences:// in nautilus that it eleviates is that it is not
immediately obvious which icons are catagories and which icons are
capplets, and you have to click and browse the catagories to see what's
inside. The same is true of a menu with sub-menus. The benefit of the
OsX style cc is that you can easily see EVERYTHING avaliable in one go -
which is very useful for those of us who don't know the cc backwards
(99.9% of users)

--
Mark Finlay <sisob eircom net>