Re: [Usability] Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usab ilty study

Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">

The other way always pops up new windows for each item, placing them
semingly randomly on screen having you micro-managing their position and
size, etc. That could also be seen as irritating and unexpected.
Showing them always in the same separate "Preview Window" would solve this
problem. (This is Jeff's preview application idea). Of course, it could
give other problems, and I can't think of any previous example of this.
What about having the preview inside the Side Pane, as a kind of additional information?

Currently, when I open the information sidepane, it always displays information about the current folder. What about displaying information about the currently selected file (and maybe informations about the folder when no file is selected)? Every component may provide it's controls, eg. zoom for images/text-documents, FF and FFR for movies and audio-files.
Additional metadata could also be displayed there.

Raphael