Re: D-BUS

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:18:58PM +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> somebody starts an implementation based on D-BUS or defines a standard
> that uses the protocols designed for and by X.

I don't know if my opinion counts, but I would urge to make the
thing X-independent.  Not everything that needs to communicate
will be a graphical app.  There are already non-graphical desktop
support apps e.g. gconf; and something general allows it to be
used in servers.   One must recognize that graphical desktop apps
are often stronger when they can talk to servers (local or remote).

I've written a few server apps using gtkobjects, because I liked
the event/callback infrastructure.   I am happier now that we have
graphics-independent gobjects.  Generic infrastructure shouldn't
require X11.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>