Re: [Proposal] Remove some stuff from Application menu

Hi Shaun,

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Shaun McCance wrote:

> The house seems like a very poor metaphor in light of l10n issues, but
> I'm at a loss to suggest anything better.

Random idea: something like a bedside table suggests 'personal' to me.

> Consistent, no.  But it should be usable with non-Gnome stuff.  Gnome
> does claim to be a desktop for Unix-like operating systems.  It should
> certainly work with non-Gnome stuff.  All right, calling it 'Personal
> Files' isn't going to cause any Motif apps to core dump.  But it just

Note that I talked about 'Personal Folder'.

> I don't see how that's an argument for desktop == $HOME.  I call tech
> support for some Unixy program (written in, let's say, Motif).  The tech
> support guy says home directory.  If I have 'Personal Files', I don't
> know where my home directory is.  If I have desktop == $HOME, I don't
> know where my home directory is.  (Sure, it's right in front of me, but
> do I know that?)  But if my desktop says "shaunm's Home", I can probably
> figure out where my home directory is, unless I'm really not too bright.

Basically what you're saying here is that GNOME should make up for the
incompetence of the tech support guy? After all, *he* should know the
working environments of his users inside and out.

> Let's not get too proud just yet.  As someone who frequently answers
> questions and fixes problems on gnomesupport.org, I assure you we have
> not shielded users from the command line.

Yes, well, you may have a point there, but I don't know how many times
I've seen people answering questions involving CLI procedures that could
have been performed via the GUI just as easily.

> complexity of this directory being called my home?  That doesn't seem
> difficult to me.  In fact, thanks to web browsers, that term is very
> likely to be recognized by a lot of people.

Sure, but in a different context and meaning.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778

Softwarepatenten bedreigen Europa. Teken op petition.eurolinux.org!