Re: Mass fixing of desktop.in files

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:11:54PM +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> Debian's d-f-utils has an update from CVS. Woo, Ross :)

Cool stuff.

> I hesitated to add it to some files. Should Nautilus have it, if it's
> normally running already? In what cases shouldn't I add it?

The older mails discuss this a bit - basically you need the process
started by the .desktop file to open a new window itself.  If the
process started by the .desktop file may open a new window in an
existing process (say as Epiphany does), then startup notify won't
work without application changes. gnome-terminal for example has these
application changes. Also, if the process doesn't open a window at all
then startup notification won't work without application changes.

But if clicking the desktop file reliably opens a new window from the
process being launched, then you're good.

> I have updated quite some desktop files, addign X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Crap,
> StartupNotify and Encoding where necessary, and correcting Terminal=0.
> I've noticed I've missed a few in nautilus and control-center, and maybe
> some other core modules I have not checked out yet. That will have to wait
> till tomorrow.

This is really great, I'm glad someone is finally fixing this stuff!
You rock.

Havoc