Re: please can we change the default background color for 2.2

 --- Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote: >
> Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:

> > > I'm talking about the theme ("theme" means "metatheme", specific theme
> > > components are "subtheme" or "icon theme" or something).

> > > You can't use a theme named default by default because then if you
> > > change the default the non-default will be called default. ;-)
> >
> > No. If you change the Default you change the theme called Default...
> > just like if you change the terminal you change the application called
> > "terminal"...
>
> Think of a distribution changing their default. By your scheme,
> they have to:
>
>  A) Rename the default theme to something else (the Red Hat GTK+ packages
>     rename the GTK+ default theme to "Raleigh")
>
>  B) Rename the theme they want to be the default to Default.
>
> And then suddenly, their is all this confusion because the Default
> theme on my computer is different than the Default theme on your
> computer...
>
> Themes named "Default" are just evil.

Yeah, but this was just what Seth was saying - the default theme is the theme that
*is* the default, not the theme *named* default (which might not exist or be any
random theme).  It only gets confusing if somebody is actually uncreative enough
to call a theme 'Default' instead of inventing a name for it.