Re: Structure in $HOME

 --- Rui Miguel Seabra <rms 1407 org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 04:22:39PM +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > Well, there is no essential difference a 'nonsense name' and a 'unlocalised
> > english name' if you don't speak English. But /usr, /bin, /etc and similar
> > directories are probbaly not something a normal users should even have to know
> > about and so it doesn't really matter what they are called.
>
> Not normal, please, I'm a perfectly normal user[1].
> Those users who should never have to care about that are the _begginers_
> or very basic users.

Call them ... well, i'm at a loss for a better word than normal. We could
call them the 'majority' or something - you know, the 99+% of computer
users who couldn't care less what it is that the compiler does.

> As you get to know your system, the power of the shell and the thousands
> of commands with one for almost anything you need, you inevitably have
> to know (and care) about /usr, /dev, etc...

Those are not normal users - a normal user just wants to do his everyday
work (which is not likely to be about computers) and should have no need
to go to the command line. They don't know what DOS commandline commands
are and are very unlikely to know the unix ones, so the comand line is of
no use to them.