adding dead space to floating panels

I just made the jump to gnome 2.1.x from 1.4, and I'm very impressed.
I've been playing with floating panels and I'm wondering if there is
some way to add "dead" space to the panel.  The reason I ask is because
when I add any applets or launchers to the floating panel, they take
over all the area making it just about impossible to click on the panel
itself.  Hence I can't move the floating panels when there are applets
on them since the panel resizes to the size of the applet.  I'd like to
add some dead space at the ends of the panel so that I can click on the
panel and move it around the desktop.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Alex