Re: Some StickyNotes bugs/issues (fwd)

[didn't cc the list properly the first time i sent this]

Subject: Re: Some StickyNotes bugs/issues

On 3 Jan 2003, Loban A Rahman wrote:

> Date: 03 Jan 2003 16:54:33 -0800
> From: Loban A Rahman <loban earthling net>
> To: MArk Finlay <sisob eircom net>
> Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Some StickyNotes bugs/issues
>
> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> > *If you create a note and then go to delete it, it prompts you to
> > confirm deletion. I don't think that confirmation should be necessary
> > when the sticky note is empty.
>
> Good point. I've added the fix.

sweet.
gotta love those quick responses.

> > * The notes are not workspace aware - it would be much more useful if
> > notes stayed on the workspace they were created on.
>
> Actually, this is a feature. :-) I thought it made sense to have the
> sticky notes be "sticky" and so they appear on all workspaces. I guess
> I'll make it configurable through GConf.

Yay, here's where I get an excuse to say stuff about usability!

If we think about the metaphor of a real world desktop then having stuff
move around like it currently does is a bit odd.  The principle of least
astonishment (POLA) would suggest having sticky notes work just like most
(?) other application and stick with the current workspace would be best.
Should i keep trying to convince you?

> > Also is the code for this applet in cvs/bugzilla somewhere?
>
> Not yet, at some point it will be added into gnome-applets, once the
> maintainer approves it, probably after 2.2 is released.

Even if it is not in Gnome 2.2 the sooner it is CVS and or has a Bugzilla
entry the better.  (please, thank you etc in advance).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

P.S. Mark, I'm almost finished reading Rebel Code.