Re: GNUmeric internship

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:19:02PM +0100, Laurent Guerby wrote:
> Hi GNUmeric developpers,
>
> I work for BNP Paribas (bank, 80000 employees worldwide) in the Equity
> Derivative Research Team (Paris, France) where we write software and
> assist equity derivative traders (worldwide). A lot of software in the
> trading room use Microsoft Excel Visual Basic as a glue of various
> components (including software we write) and as Rapid Application
> Development platform.  This year we'd like to investgate the use of
> free software alternative for this part of our business, we understand
> that in the spreadsheet area GNUmeric and OpenCalc are the free
> software players of interest. We already pay for support of
> our GNU compiler toolchain (GNAT, ACT Europe since 1997), and we have
> deployed over  the year a few hundreds Linux servers dedicated to the
> trading room computation needs, so we're not new to the free software
> world.
>
> We'd like to take an intern (Paris, whenever possible this year, 3
> to 6 monthes) to do the evaluation of GNUmeric and various plugins
> (like the R one, graphics, ...) and glue technology (CORBA, python,
> Mono, direct linking, etc...). The intern will be free to contribute
> whatever is done to the various free software projects involved.
>
> Feel free to contact me directly with a resume, and to forward this
> email anywhere appropriate.

Many thanks for your interest.  Gnumeric is solidly targeted at
precisely the niche you describe.  Many of our contributors are
working in finance or come from financial backgrounds.

If you're deploying your analytics using VBA wrappers in MS Excel
Gnumeric will a very pleasant improvement.  The Gnumeric plugin
interface is well defined and much easier to maintain.

Welcome aboard
    Jody