Re: nice /. comment

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 01:07:24PM -0500, Keith Adamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 00:06, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I would like to get some nice stuff in 2.4, but there also are
> > workable solutions today that are granted more hacky and less
> > convenient.
>
> Is there a HOWTO that pulls the "lock-down" and "config-scripts" into a
> nice guide for a newbie enterprise user ... or do you need to scan the
> various GNOME API docs?

Yes, there's the GNOME sysadmin guide at http://www.gnome.org/learn

The script it suggests for configuring the panel can be used for about
anything. The panel is kind of the worst-case scenario as far as
confusingness, though if you s/000001/bottom_panel/ (or whatever) in
the keys it will help you understand. Mark is cleaning up the panel a
bit in 2.4.

Mandatory settings aren't documented there but if you look at
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ it gives some background info.
Basically you just need to put a read-only source *in front of* the
user's ~/.gconf source, then set any settings in there, they will be
mandatory and always override the user's settings.

Havoc