mysterious window closings

I've recently come across a bit of puzzling window
behavior.  It seems that occassionally my X-events
(like button clicks and things like that) will close
the window they are in.  It's not repeatable, but I'm
curious whether this is a common experience or if it's
just me.  I'm running sawfish 0.38 on Gnome 1.4.1 (I
know it's old).
Thanks,
Chris

ps - If this question would be more suited for a
different list, please let me know.  I'd love to stop
this as soon as possible, it's really annoying!