Re: An object Oriented File Manager Design

I agree whole-heartedly with this.  Even a technical user can be lost
without knowledge of what options are available.  A technical user has
the advantage of experimentation and previous knowledge - we know what a
context menu is, and have a good chance of thinking "hey, what does the
context menu give me?"  Untrained, unexperienced, or unwilling-to-learn
users aren't going to do this.  It's that last groups that's the biggest
pain in the ass, yet I find myself having to do with them the most doing
support (then, that isn't surprising in after-thought).  These people
need the cues and guidance on how to go about the task they are trying
to accomplish, and not be forced to really on understand of desktop
paradigm.

Heck, even if we did rely totally on desktop paradigms, the context-menu
is one of the worst to rely on.  As it's often invoked by "alternative
click", that being right-click for most users, but it's not consistant
at all.  Lots of widgets in GTK (or just in certain apps) have no
context menu, others react to an alternate click just like a normal
click (most menu bars, for example), other apps have a global context
menu for the whole window, others have a different context menu for each
area/widget, etc.  Desktop paradigms only work when they're consistant,
and the user can rely on the knowledge that the action produces the
intended result, or provides the intended information.  This just isn't
the case for context-menus, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Even if all apps on a user's desktop was consistant (i.e., Mozilla,
OpenOffice, etc. all started using GNOME's UI guidelines and followed
them perfectly), context menues kinda suck imho anyways - if we need at
least two mouse buttons and at least three key modifiers (super, alt,
ctrl) in order to perform work, that indicates to me the interface is
still too complicated.  It's just like comparing a door that swings open
when pushed, and a trick door that needs pressure applied, two keys
turned, and an ancient mystic phrase chanted on the third full moon of
the year in order to open.  ~,^  (Well, okay, _maybe_ the last bit was a
bit over the top.)