Re: desktop interface preference: tabbed_mdi_edge_position

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 00:18, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:11:04AM +0200, Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> >
> > Would it be wise and timely to include this (or some other variation of
> > the name) in desktop_gnome_interface.schemas from libgnome?
> >

> Can someone explain to me why people want to change which side their
> tabs are on?

So I'll try to dump my brain here:

 - the notebook pages in a tabbed mdi app are essentially task switchers
 - sometimes with their properties and behavior they are also used as
notifiers

as such they belong in the task switching/notification area, which by
all modern standards is BOTTOM by default. Depending on the type of app
or the usage pattern many people prefer TOP so it really should be a
preference.

I think the current default (GTK_POS_TOP) as demonstrated by galeon2,
gedit and gnome-terminal is just a side-result of the development
process, because:
 - gtk_notebook has has TOP as default. The reason I guess has to do
with the fact that notebooks are primarily used in dialogs and
GTK_POS_TOP for these makes very much sense.
 - developers are not eager to muck with the defaults and introduce new
prefs.

By this thinking I'd say the proposed schema should be modified to have
GTK_POS_BOTTOM as default

I realize this goes a bit against the current, but I want to get people
to think about how and why they actually use the tabs in tabbed mdi
apps.

Regards
Yanko