Re: Build tools standard redux

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:01:36PM +1100, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> The thread from a week ago that Dan Mills started about build tools
> seems to have petered out without any clear resolution (in GNOME? How
> surprising .. not). It cannot be left like that, since we are already in
> trouble and need to work out a solution.

Here is what we are blocking on:

 - someone has to make stuff distcheck with newer automake

That's it. Someone has to do the work.  I don't think there's any
(significant) controversy beyond that.

My opinion beyond that is that it isn't a big deal if people need
automake-1.4, -1.6, and -1.7 installed, but if we're going to pick 2
it should be 1.4 and 1.7 and if we're going to pick one it should be
1.7. But honestly it does not make a lot of difference here IMHO.

For doing the work, the key work is to fix the base of the dependency
stack (intltool, scrollkeeper, gtk-doc) etc. because there's a good
chance maintainers will then do their own fixage in their own modules.

But basically we need a volunteer to fix it, no amount of decision
making will get us anywhere until someone fixes distcheck for all the
standard build rules.

Havoc