Re: Missing buttons in keybindings capplet

Hi Mark,

Mark McLoughlin wrote:

Hi Joe,

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:31, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
If you take a look at:

http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.2/goscustdesk-39.html

You'll see the keybindings capplet has three buttons for manipulating
shortcuts.  However, I these buttons don't exist in control-center
2.2.0.1 on FreeBSD.  In looking at the keybindings glade file, the
buttons clearly are not there.  I looked through CVS, and I can't find
where they ever existed.  Is this a documentation bug, or am I missing
something obvious?  Thanks.

	Its a Sun specific patch - and since the Sun docs guys (and gals) did
the users guide, its one of those discrepancies that is hard to avoid
without magicing up some resources from somewhere ... cc-ed
gnome-doc-list, I'm sure someone there will explain better.

	The patch itself is in CVS:

sun-patches/gnome-control-center/060-00000.diff

	No bugzilla id with it, no comment on whether or not the patch was
rejected by the gnome-control-center maintainers - all against Sun's
policies for our patches ... Frenchie, what's the deal ? :-)

This patch was rejected by the maintainers at the time I implemented this feature (back in 08/02).

The main reason, afair,was that they didn't like the GUI. Also another plan was to remove all the keybindings from the panel and gnome-settings-daemon and put all the keybinding handling in the WM to avoid i18n issues and key conflicts but at the time Havoc wasn't to pushed to add arbitrary number
of keybinding/command combinations in metacity.

As for the patch in sun-patches status, the Sun policy didn't exist at the time I wrote the stuff and I never went back and correct it when the policy was put in place. This is fixed now :)

   Cheers,

         Erwann

--
Erwann Chénedé, Sun Microsystems, Ireland
         from Grenoble, France