Re: Template system

On Wednesday 17 Dec 2003 10:45 pm, Jens Bech Madsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 23:34, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> I don't understand why tools are regarded which such disdain as compared
> to the concept of the process itself. Without the tool, there is no
> process. It's not like products appear from thin air.

Agreed.  I was arguing this recently with regards to the new Nautilus
object-oriented window thing; people work with applications all the time, and
we'd have a LOT of work to do to make everything a logically object-oriented
system.

For instance, we'd need to have pages on screen, instead of wordprocessors.
We'd need to drop those pages in folders to save them, and simply 'unroll'
documents to open them.  It might work, but it'd be a huge change of
perspective, and no desktop I know of is ANYWHERE near it.

There is a usability issue in here somewhere, too, though.  I don't know how
many times I've seen users try to go the opposite way with scrollbars,
because they expect up to move the PAGE up, rather then to move the
application's VIEW of the page.

The ironic thing is that thinking about all of this might really lead to
something new, but all we (and all other desktops I know) do is mix the
fundamentally different models as if they're interchangeable :/

--
Lee.