Re: proposal for MIME behavior in GNOME

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 13:14, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:56, John McCutchan wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see different verbs which reflect the task I intend to do.
> > Like this example a .html file.
> >
> > Instead of:
> > Open with Mozilla
> > Open with Emacs
> >
> > It should be:
> > View with Mozilla
> > Edit with Emacs
>
> I guess the issue is whether that's *too* specific... I could just as
> easily be wanting to edit a file in Mozilla, or view it in emacs. "Open"
> handily covers both scenarios, without the UI appearing too
> presumptious.

What about directly printable types of files? "Open with printer"
doesn't make much sense :-) "Open with lpr"? Neither sounds as good as
"Print to default printer" Or would that(printing) need to be handled
completely separately?

It seems to me to be something mime-system related and therefore
sensible to be handled in the mime system... although I guess it would
be just as easy to create a nautilus mime-action for all printable
files, it just doesn't seem as correct.

just my 2 cents.
--
Mark Roach