Re: 'Switch User' action

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 10:16, Julien Olivier wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 18:04, Shahms King wrote:
> > <snip Marks 'Actions' Rationale>
> >
> > Unless we're moving all of the actions presented by the 'Logout' dialog
> > into the action menu, "Switch Users" should go into that dialog, rather
> > than the Actions Menu.
>
> What I understand of the 'switch users' action is that it prevents you
> from loging out. It should keep your session open while opening a new
> one for another user or switching to an already opened session for
> another user. Isn't it how it works ?

Well, how it "works" at the moment is gdmflexiserver asks gdm to launch
another X server, on a new VT and show the GDM greeter, the greeter then
"does its thing" handling logging as the same user, etc.  It doesn't
really "prevent you from logging out" so much as "logs you out without
shutting down your session"  AFAIK, Switch User is in the XP logout
options.  You may not be logging the current user off of the machine,
but it looks that way to the end user.  Unless we want to go the Mac OS
route and put all the actions (Shutdown, Restart, Log Off, Switch User)
in the Actions menu, it doesn't make much sense to me to have "Switch
User" and "Log Out" be separate menu items.
--
Shahms King <shahms shahms com>