Re: Using the same home dir with Gnome 2.2 and Gnome 2.4

<quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">

> > Actually, it's not just custom emblems. I've set some emblems in 2.4 and
> > they don't show up in either 2.0 or 2.2
>
> Why would you expect newer GNOME stuff to be supported by older GNOME
> versions? Obviously people try to keep things as compatible as possible,
> but I doubt anyody is expecting people to downgrade to an older GNOME.

This is a requirement, and something we have been aiming for, on large (or
"enterprise" to fill my buzzword quota) installations. Indeed, sometimes you
end up using GNOME 1.4 on Solaris, then GNOME 2.2 and 2.0 on Linux, then
Windows (using your *nix home directory via samba) all in the same day. :-)

The correct thing to do to provide support for 1.x, 2.0 and 2.2, is to
make sure the Desktop directory and .gnome-desktop symlink are created when
the user's home directory is created (through /etc/skel, pam_mkhomedir, or
whatever).

Admins will probably run scripts over home directories to fix this up for
existing users too.

- Jeff

   It makes perfect sense. If you're a narcissistic arsehole spawned from
                            a curdled gene pool.