Re: Regarding the session manager

Hi Frederik,

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 11:06, Fredrik Jonsson wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I would say gnome-settings-daemon should be handled much like other
> > essential processes (window manager, panel).  They should have an SM
> > property indicating their type, and the SM should force one panel, one
> > file manager, one window manager, one settings daemon, etc. to be
> > running at all times; it should also be sure it starts things up in
> > the right order (settings daemon, then WM, then file manager, then
> > panel, I would say). If the user doesn't have one of these categories
> > in their session, the SM should put the default one back into the
> > session. There can be an override preference of some kind (an
> > allow_no_window_manager=true setting or something) for people who
> > really know what they are doing.
>
> Ok, this is pretty much along the lines I'm thinking too.
> Currently the settings-daemon doesn't support session
> management at all I believe, but it would be better to make
> a more general solution for the essential apps.

	One other thing you might want to consider is how to fix things like
what we had to do to get assistive technologies started on login - see
gsm-at-startup.[ch] in gnome-session. Essentially, the problem is that
there is no generic framework for an application to request
gnome-session to start an application on login. You can either require
that the entire session gets saved with this app or you can add hacks to
the session manager like this. We need something better :-)

Cheers,
Mark.