Regarding the session manager

I've been looking at the session management bits for the
last couple of weeks for fun and as an oppurtunity to learn
more about the desktop. In about 1-2 weeks I've made a
session manager with the ice connection stuff stolen from
msm which runs well enough to use myself, which means that
there is like 90% of the work left before it would be good
enough for general use, typically the user interaction
stuff and polishing until it shines.

Obviously the desktop is depending on some stuff being
initialized by the session manager, like
gnome-settings-daemon, so now I wonder if someone can give
me a hint or pointer to information regarding:

1. In what manner "should" gnome-settings-daemon be started?
It is not started explicitely by gnome-session or msm. If
there is any general/more information regarding what
services the desktop needs I'd be happy for that too.

2. Is other work made on session management, or rather,
should I continue to do this as a teach-myself-gnome thingy,
or should I put some effort into actually making it
generally useful? I'm quitting my work in order to focus on
university and finishing my master during the next 12-18
months, so I'll have some time to spend, and as previously
mentioned it won't require much maintenance work once the
basic functionality is finished, so it is feasible. There is
quite a lot of stuff regarding gnome development that I need
to learn though, so we are talking some months, towards the
end of this year or something like that before I'd have
something reaonably finished.

Regards,

	/Fredrik

--
Fredrik Jönsson
Manager, Systems Staff      fjo nada kth se