Re: Experimental patches for linux usability

Mark Finlay wrote:
1) usb auto-mount/umount - base on linux hot-plug
The rough result (on my machine) is that when you plug a usb
drive (or cdrom), it'll be auto-mounted, its icon instantly appear
on GNOME desktop. When you unplug it, it'll be auto-umounted
and its icon disappear.
A lot of work NEED to be done on the kernel side because
you have to be able to force-umount it in case any file is still open.
I remember force-umount implement only for NFS? maybe I'm wrong.
You mean more than umount -f ? I've used that before on usb mounted
drives and it seems to work.
As I side note, I really want to see this working ... :)

It doesn't work for me :-(

[root tc1000 mnt]# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/tmp
[root tc1000 mnt]# cd /mnt/tmp
[root tc1000 tmp]# umount /mnt/tmp
umount: /mnt/tmp: device is busy
[root tc1000 tmp]# umount -f /mnt/tmp
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /mnt/tmp: device is busy

This has to work for usb-auto-umount or it'll leave
the usb-drive's icon on the desktop if any file's
still in-use when it is unplug. Any process that
using the files will crash but it's safer than
allowing even more confusing access to invalid
filesystem.