Re: Glade & HIG (Was: GNOME ABI review)

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 16:31, Seth Nickell wrote:
> It'd also be nice to have hig alerts, and eventually progress windows
> and some other "template windows" like that
>
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 4:20AM -0800, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 17:20, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> >
> >>  anyway, and we should fix Glade to make HIG-compliance easier.
> >
> > Please let me know which widgets need fixing. Is it just the frames?
> >
> > I'll have a read through the HIG now but I may miss something.

I've used Apples Interface builder and it offer two features that really
help the designer.  First if offers guidelines to show where controls
can be placed, and second, a snap-to-grid to make sure the controls are
positioned/aligned well.

These features are contrary to the box-pack model, but by clamping down
some of the properties, like padding or alignment, designers would make
fewer mistakes.  Guidelines could be used to show the designer the
padding around controls and within boxes.

It might be possible to create a validator like the html/css validators
that checks for conformance to HIG and provides some analysis about how
the interface can be improved.  Better still, when a testable value is
set out of HIG bounds, the control could be highlighted to alert the
designer that there is a problem.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.