Re: Weather Applet

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 20:24, Ted Gould wrote:
> I know there was some discussion earlier about the weather applet, and
> where to get the data for it.
>
> I was playing around on the weather.com site, and it turns out they have
> an XML feed for weather data.

Thanks for looking into it, Ted.

>  The only hitch being this beautiful peice
> of legalese that comes before it.
>
> Weather.com legal stuff: http://gould.cx/weather.txt
>
> I'm not sure if GNOME can really use it or not.  One part I'm unsure
> about is the 'no mobile devices' stuff, that might conflict with the
> GPL.  Is there someone out there that can comment?

There are a few other restrictions that would be problematic as well-
basically anything that forces a specific behavior (like links, etc.)
would be impossible for us to enforce under the terms of the GPL.

>  Perhaps, if this is
> a problem and someone 'offical' (from the GNOME foundation) called their
> business services they'd be willing to change it.  I don't know, I
> thought I'd just bring it up as an idea.

Can't hurt to try- we're getting to the point where we can say 'sure,
GPL means that other, non-controlled copies might circulate, but the
official copy from GNOME would be on a million or two desktops, which
would be nice for you.'

> Weather.com Business Development Group: busdevmanager2 talk2 weather com
>
> As far as the XML itself goes, it seems pretty straight forward - pretty
> much the data that we want.  It has a locale field, but I can't figure
> out how to get it to do anything but 'en_US' (seems like it must be able
> to though).

Does it have 'extra' stuff? It appears from the contract that we can't
ignore any stuff we don't want to use, so having miscellaneous ads or
strings or whatever would probably be a bad thing. :/

Thanks again for looking at another option, Ted-
Luis