Re: LibXML2 Indentation

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 13:38, Noah Levitt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:26:38 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, in all the noise and flames a very reasonable (IMO) request got
> > lost, namely for indentation whitespace *between* XML elements, i.e.
> > outside of CDATA areas, which as we all know is *not* significant to
> > anything but us humans :-)
>
> Are you sure? I could very easily be wrong, but I thought
> all whitespace was significant. Consider the <pre> tag in
> xhtml for example.

It's up to the document definition and app to decide, really.  If the
app says, "ok, in this element <blah>, I'm only interested in
sub-element <foo>" then it can just ignore any text nodes.  It could
even ignore other child elements - you could put anything you want
there, and it would just be ignored - IF the app is coded that way.

If you know your app will handle it, go for it.  If you don't know for
sure, assume whitespace is significant.