2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

The discussion period for GEP 11, the new-modules GEP, is due to end on May
15th:
http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-11.html

Lots more modules have been proposed, so a summary is below. You can propose
yet more modules if you like.

Please try out some of these if you haven't already. Try to think whether
they meet the criteria here:
http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html [1]

If you have questions about these modules then ask them now - ideally CCing
the developers of the specific module. The release team will eventually have
to guess what the GNOME community wants, so do try to create a consensus and
express it. Personally I'd like to see clear reasons for including or
rejecting all the proposed modules. And if we accept a module on condition
that some changes are made then we should make that very clear.

Please try to create specific threads for each module rather than jumbling
everything up together in this thread. [4]

*** The list so far [2]:

  accessibility setup wizard
  (or gnome-doorman)

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-accessibility-list/2003-April/msg00142
.html

  battfink - Energy saving and battery status utility.
    Intended to replace the existing Battery Charge Monitor in gnome-utils
[5]
    because it is smaller and simpler.
  http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/battfink/
  http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/battfink/README

  epiphany - A GNOME web browser based on Gecko. [3]
  http://epiphany.mozdev.org/

  fontilus - Font management and information tools.
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontilus/

  gaim - Instant messenger (multi-protocol)
  http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

  galeon - A GNOME web browser based on Gecko. [3]
  http://galeon.sourceforge.net/

  gcalctool - A full-featured calculator.
  http://calctool.sourceforge.net/

  gnome-mag - Desktop magnification tool.
  http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-mag/README
  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-mag/

  gnome-speech - Text-to-speech API. Speech-to-text planned.
  http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-speech/README

  gnome-network - Network admin, things, maybe - might have something to do
with gnome-system-tools.
  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-network/

  gnome-system-tools - Additions for the GNOME control panel, traditionally
provided by distros.
  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/

  gnopernicus - Some kind of accessibility infrastructure thing, I think.
  http://www.baum.ro/gnopernicus.html

  gok - The 'GNOME On-screen Keyboard', an accessibility tool.
  http://www.gok.ca/

  gpdf - An xpdf-based PDF viewer.
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpdf/

  GnomeMeeting - H.323 compatible videoconferencing and VOIP/IP-Telephony
application.
  http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

  gucharmap - A full-featured unicode character map tool.
  http://gucharmap.sourceforge.net/

  nautilus-cd-burner - Integrated CD burning tool for Nautilus (requires
    as-yet-unreleased changes to Nautilus for full integration). [6]
  http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/nautilus-cd-burner/README
  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/nautilus-cd-burner/

  themus - Theme management and information tools (functionality to be added
to Theme control panel)
  http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/themus

  totem - Movie player for GNOME, currently xine-based.
  http://www.hadess.net/totem.php3

  zenity - Provides graphical prompts and dialogs in shell scripts.
  http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/zenity/

[1] GEP 10 is not yet official either, but we seem to have consensus that
it's OK apart from a few minor changes that need to be scraped off the
mailing list.
[2] Sorry if these aren't the most definitive URLs. Some of these projects
seem to be hiding from the public gaze. Sorry if I've missed something out -
nothing has been officially rejected yet.
[3] 1 or the other, or none, or something else, not both.
[4] Yes, I'm sorry about my crappy non-threading mailer. No, I can't fix it.
Yes, that is awful.
[5] So, this isn't technically a new module. But we should still talk about
it.
[6] I think this is already in RedHat 9, so it should be easy to try out.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com