Re: galculator should be included in Gnome [OT rant]

Owen Taylor wrote:

Drifting off topic here - (note that I haven't looked at gcalctool)

While the concept of copying a simple 4 function calculator may have
a bit of merit - people are familiar with that - copying a physical
calculator really is a entirely broken way of presenting a interface
for interactive calculations.

Problems with it:

- Retyping numbers; if a number occurs multiple times in a calculation you have to retype each time, or think ahead
  and put them in a memory first
- Lack of symbolic names for variables
- No ability to correct mistakes
- Is not obvious how to navigate with the keyboard
- Is clumsy to keyboard navigate
- Typically has cryptic abbreviations for the key names
- Doesn't take advantage of the display area available
  on a computer

I could go on and on. This problem could use a lot of rethinking.

I'd think it might be better to start off with a command line
calculation tool (I actually typically use python or gdb when
I need to calculate stuff) and think how you can improve it
with a GUI. Random ideas:

- Nice completion on functions and variables. Type s, and
  dropdown pops down with sin(), etc, in it.

- Every number entered and result gets tagged with some sort
  of annotation that can be used (think gdb's $4) or DND'ed
  to a variable bar where a name can be assigned to it.

- If you go back and edit an earlier formula in the buffer,
  the change takes effect and propagates.

There are a lot of examples of interfaces that could serve as
prior art - bc, Mathematica, shell-mode in emacs, etc, etc. Many of
them admittedly, are experts-only or simply hideous.

But I think if one sat down and plan out what you want people to
be able to do with tool tool - whether it's summing up lists of
numbers or plugging in numbers in their Physics homework - and
what is *not* in scope for the tool (it shouldn't try to replace
gnumeric or mathematic), you should be able to do *so* much better
than trying to reproduce the details of a physical calculator,
whether it is Casio, TI, Sharp, or HP.
Sounds like you are thinking of something similar to the "Power Calc" calculator for Windows XP (part of the XP powertoys). Here is a screenshot:
   http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/wxp_pt_05.gif

It feels a fair bit like the HP graphing calculators I have used.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/