Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

<quote who="Havoc Pennington">

> In short, "administrative" is not the same as "geektoys" - geektoys
> are things an administrator qua computer geek might use on their own
> desktop, but they would not be using it in their role as
> administrator, they'd be using it in their role as a geeky user.

Yeah, putting it in an admin release or resource kit kind of thing seems far
more sensible to me (than geektoys).

> zenity on the other hand would be deployed to all the user desktops, and
> used for one-off site-local dialogs of various kinds.

I've only recently switched over from gdialog - it's definitely a feature
that admins will like. But does that mean it's greatest-common-factor
desktop worthy?

If we do have a 'resource kit' kind of release, it will keep the desktop
release slim and appropriate to the GCF of users, and can have its own
release schedule and goals, etc. There's no reason why the desktop needs to
be 'everything important'. Divide and conquer, yada yada yada. ;-)

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

   "They are, as I told Telsa, all very small cheques. Indeed our cheques
   only come in one size, otherwise cheque books would be far too hard to
                          manufacture." - Alan Cox