Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 10:51, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2003 10:50, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > Then, because I would'nt like to see Nautilus UI crippled with
> > non-file-management UI elements (like konqueror) and make it a very
> > complicated app...
>
> But that's the point!
>
> Konqueror's UI elements are not crippled. Basically Konqueror is nothing else
> than just a Window frame and nothing else. Without KHTML embedded as KParts
> (?) it wouldn't even act as a Webbrowser. All those KParts thingies are what
> gives it the powers e.g. act as SQL query analyzer, Pop3 email browser,
> Filemanager, Webbrowser, Movieplayer, PDF viewer and so on.

A file manager acting as a web browser is a crippled file manager. Only
Microsoft and KDE (+ some Galeon/Ephy users...) seem to think that it's
a good idea.

> You need to see it as some sort of Plugins System, whenever I write an
> application for KDE and have it support KParts, then I can use it inside
> Konqueror and any other app that supports it.
<snip>

> Real live scenario:
> -------------------
> Nautilus-CD-Burner, it's from what I know only available as Nautilus view and
> not as standalone application. Say for someone using as Distribution and say
> for someone NEW to linux and GNOME (that's the people you are targeting at,
> don't forget this). These people usually search for a CD-Burning standalone
> application first. They don't find anything and now contact you. You reply
> enter 'burn://' in the Locationbar of Nautilus and then continue... All you
> see is an empty Field and you ask yourself 'what now?'. What I like to
> explain here is that the views are being abused as addons as Nautilus only,
> which makes it hard for people to realize that they are there.

Well, the only problem is that n-c-b isn't a view, it's a stand-alone
application, with a gnome-vfs plugin. I guess you need to find another
example.

<snip>

> If I'm wrong with something then let me know.

See above.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault