Re: making FAM a required dependency

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 15:13, Shahms E. King wrote:
[snip]
> Except, it does, or could with a little bit of work.  On platforms with
> kernel support (IRIX and Linux, atm) it uses those native systems, and
> on those without it uses a fallback poll() based system which is
> sub-optimal (but exactly what you'd have to implement as a "fallback" in
> gnome-vfs, or in an individual application).  IMHO it doesn't make sense
> to ignore the extant work in this area and re-implement FAM inside of
> gnome-vfs just so we don't have another dependency.

Yea, sorry. I just read on the FAM page that it falls back to polling
for systems without kernel support so I guess this is fine.

I also had not wanted gnome-vfs to implement its own thing, I just was
willing to live with hitting the refresh button (it really doesn't
bother me at all).

But whatever.

Jeff

--