Re: that darned accessibility capplet

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 19:29, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > The change was not uncontroversial.  I think that if we do rearrange the
> > accessibility capplet, we should be willing to re-think that issue as
> > well.  To be honest, the existing "Keyboard" capplet is a little weird,
> > since it includes cursor blink rate, and sounds.  (Does no-one else find
> > that weird?)
>
> Yes. The existing keyboard capplet contains a lot of esoteric settings
> like that. Many of them, like keyboard sounds, I would vote for removing
> altogether.

I think they are useful, but question whether "Keyboard" is the right
place for them.  For instance, "Keyboard sounds" seem more closely
related to system sounds.

Likewise cursor-blink rate seems like something that belongs in "theme".

So then the only things we really want to change that are "keyboard"
settings are the XKB/AccessX settings!

The only issue I can see with refactoring this is that moving key-repeat
to the accessibility->keyboard capplet would probably make it harder to
find for most users.   So far I can't see a way of improving such a move
that would not have some negative impact on accessibility users (for
instance, calling the Accessibility->Keyboard capplet just "Keyboard",
and reordering it to have "Accessibility", "MouseKeys", "General" tabs,
or something like that.

-Bill