Re: metacity, vte

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 17:41, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> writes:
> > In my experience with these two projects, there are many things missing
> > from them. In vte for example, the AA text makes it much harder to read
> > than when using zvt, due to the crappy hinting in vte, or maybe just the
> > colors, but it's very hard to read. (no, it's not a font issue, Andale
> > Mono is a damn good font, thank you).
>
> It is possible to disable AA for just Andale Mono in
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. Also if you use any of the bitmap fonts you can
> currently choose in Zvt, you will not get AA in VTE, as bitmap fonts
> aren't AA. Stuff like "fixed" and "lucidatypewriter" won't get AA
> rendering as they are bitmap fonts.

Disabling AA for a single font is not an option. Especially when that
font renders perfectly everywhere else with AA. vte still tried to
render lucidatypwriter/etc... as scalable AA fonts, last i tried it.

> The libzvt-based gnome-terminal doesn't even have a working font
> selector...
>
> > Hopefully, I'll have time soon to go through the billion metacity
> > bugs in bugzilla, and find the ones I care about, and report more,
> > if they haven't been already.
>
> Oh trust me, they have been. ;-)

I don't know if all of them have been. Trust me. There will be more.

> >However, despite metacity not being ready for prime time use, it's
> >being put there anyway, so it doesn't matter what it lacks right now,
> >because it will have to go in at some point.
>
> Don't assume this, I have no intention of adding the stuff you may
> mean. If there's a problem in behavior, the philosophy is that I need
> a patch that fixes it for almost everyone - that means the problem has
> to be fixed without having to toggle a preference.  Preferences should
> be adding a choice where people have different preferences, they
> should not be adding bugfixes. You've heard the rant before.
>
> If people aren't comfortable with that, then we should not move GNOME
> to metacity, I'll keep it as an optional feature used by some OS's and
> distributions.
>
> Havoc

I'm not assuming anything. It's missing features and preferences that
should be there. You assume that by adding preferences, it is a way to
work around a bug. It is not possible to make a window manager work
correctly for everyone without preferences. I'm fine with not having a
fuckload of preferences like KDE/Sawfish/etc... do. GNOME 2.x is very
much low on preferences. There are three levels of preferences right
now, GNOME2, the right amount, and KDE. You keep confusing the term
preferences with the term custom language interpreter. There are several
problems in metacity. Most of them happen to be the lack of an option
to change the behaviour. No, I have not heard the rant before. I
would just assume avoid it, because I've seen people mention bits and
pieces of it, and it's almost right, but not quite there.

--
Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr>