Re: User-Friendly Names

Ross,

There are two reasons why the Windows examples are okay:

      * The examples you list don't come with windows.  You have to
        install them separately later.  Thus, you probably already know
        what they are.  The software which comes WITH windows is named
        in such a way that it's obvious what it is.  (Mostly)
      * There are huge advertising budgets behind these names.  They're
        brands.  This means that people already associate Outlook with
        email.

Of course, if the user hasn't been paying any attention to all the
advertising and has the software pre-loaded on their machine, they are
often confused.

--
Benjamin Kahn <xkahn ximian com>