GNOME Task Manager

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this mailing list.  Forgive me if
anything is redundant to previous posts.

For our software engineering project for a class at Berkeley, we want
to create a graphical task manager for GNOME.  Currently, as far as we
know, there is no standard task manager in gnome like the one in
Windows (is there one already?  we are not sure...). Of course, we can
use a bunch of commandline commands to do the same, but a graphical
frontend with real-time graphs would be nice.

Some of the thing we want to monitor in our task manager are: all
running processes, CPU usage, memory usage, all network traffic, and
show the tail of a log file "message" (readable only by root).  We
might also allow control of some of these things, like killing a
process or blocking a certain TCP/IP connection and so on.

Is there anything else that the gnome community would like to see
added (and why? we need to do a specifications document as part of the
project).  Also, any suggestions on how to implement this project and
tips for programming for GNOME?  Thanks!

Michael