[RSN #1] GNOME's Weekly Release Engineering Update

RSN #1: GNOME's Weekly Release Engineering Update

Here's something new... a weekly release engineering update email with a
funky title that everyone can have a quick chuckle about! The title, that
is, not the email.

If there's anything you'd like to see in RSN, please email the release team
with your suggestions - besides our minutes and usual email carpetbombing,
this will be our primary method of keeping everyone up to date. Let us know
how we're doing: release-team gnome org

2.0.x Status
------------

Despite 2.0.0 being our most stable release ever, we're still finding lots
of things to fix up. Luckily, we've had no significant regressions released
into the wild, but we have had a few between public releases. We've delayed
2.0.2 due to some gnome-vfs bugs affecting menus, and the return of menu
editing.

We have nothing on the stable branch schedule after 2.0.2, but there is
still a lot of bugfixing action going on. The release team will be reviewing
the stable branch status again on September 25th, and will almost definitely
roll out a 2.0.3 release soon after.

The Bugmeister
--------------

This is where Luis gets to shake his fist at unclosed bug reports, and point
out the progress we've made...

2.0.2: http://makeashorterlink.com/?H48D21F81

  There are 26 of these. None are showstoppers but fixing them would still
  be good. Note that Seth has still not actually filed any vfolder bugs.
  Michael has fixed the other most notable regression, which was in bonobo.

2.0.x: http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2FD55F81

  General bugs in 2.0.x, not yet targeted for a release.

PATCH: http://makeashorterlink.com/?J4CD25F81

  There are still 120 bugs with patches attached. That's sort of
  embarassing. Someone to play patchmonkey, reviewing and committing these
  where appropriate could do a lot of good.

API Documentation
-----------------

Mikael Hallendal will be trying to get our API docs into better shape during
the 2.1.x release process, so that we can have complete documentation for
our Developer Platform release. The following list shows the status of the
gnome-2-0 branch, so changes to HEAD are not taken into account.

  glib:              100%
  gobject:            46% (244/285)
  linc:               56% (15/12)
  atk:                82% (188/42)
  pango:              99% (407/4)
  bonobo-activation:  77% (23/7)
  gdk:               100%
  gtk:                89% (2139/258)
  gdk-pixbuf:        100%
  gconf:              42% (114/155)
  libbonobo:          39% (187/288)
  gnome-vfs:          42% (172/234)
  libglade:           81% (42/10)
  libgnome:          100%
  libgnomecanvas:     75% (101/33)
  libgnomeui:         57% (488/374) (** Malcolm is working on this **)
  libgnomeprint:      20% (48/190)
  gail:               81% (13/3)
  gnome-panel:        64% (18/10)
  vte:                 0% no docs at all

Mikael is also maintaining API documentation bugs in CVS, under the
'API-doc' keyword: http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1CB231A1

If you are interested in helping out on documenting some of these modules
please let Mikael know!

You Are Here
------------

You don't have to feel like a small, wide-eyed child lost in a ginormous
shopping centre any more - the release team is here to help! Think of us as
the big red dot on the shopping centre map of GNOME.

     September 2002
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa                                       .-------------.
  .1..2..3..4..5.(6).7   RELEASE: GNOME 2.0.2 RC 1       <--/ YOU ARE HERE /
   8  9 10 11 12(13)14   RELEASE: GNOME 2.0.2 Final         `-------------'
  15 16 17 18 19 20 21
  22 23 24 25 26(27)28   RELEASE: GNOME 2.1.0 Snapshot
  29 30

      October 2002
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
         1  2  3  4  5
   6  7  8  9 10 11 12
  13 14 15 16 17(18)19   RELEASE: GNOME 2.1.1 Snapshot
  20 21 22 23 24 25 26
  27 28 29 30(31)        CHILL: Feature freeze, UI chill

     November 2002
  Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
                 (1) 2   RELEASE: GNOME 2.1.2 Snapshot
   3  4  5  6  7  8  9
  10 11 12 13 14 15 16
  17 18 19 20 21(22)23   RELEASE: GNOME 2.1.3 Snapshot
  24 25 26 27 28 29(30)  FREEZE: User Interface Freeze

--
    "I can't imagine anyone telling Emma Bunton to shut up. It would be
                        rather like slapping Bambi."