Re: What shortcut is good for fullscreen mode

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 11:49, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:

> For the moment different apps use different shortcuts for fullscreen,
> which I think is very bad. I would like to get some input about what to
> use so we can use it in GnomeMeeting
>
> Galeon				F11
> Xmms, Gnomemeeting, mplayer	Ctrl+F
> Windows apps			Alt+Enter
> Totem				F

Right now I'm recommending F11. I have no strong opinions on any of
these things. I'm open to any usability arguments people can launch that
one is better than the other.... CTRL-F seems nice except that, as
people have pointed out, it interferes with an existing combo, so I
think that's off the table. My one concern with F11 is that some
keyboards may not have it. Don't know if that's a legit concern or not.

> And there are probably other applications using other keys.
>
> Most applications accept Esc to exit from fullscreen mode. I like this.

Eventually the HIG will recommend what totem provides for escaping
fullscreen, namely totem pops up a little button on mouse movement that
allows you to exit. Alternatively apps like Galeon which are displaying
some chrome still (just not much) can have an always visible "Leave
Fullscreen" button, which is even better. Relying on people knowing the
"leave fullscreen" key before they enter fullscreen is flakey.

-Seth