Re: <ItemDir> in user vFolders

Hi,

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 10:00, Ross Burton wrote:
> Just a quick question -- it is supported to do this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <VFolderInfo>
>   <WriteDir>/home/users/ross/.gnome2/vfolders/applications</WriteDir>
>   <ItemDir>/usr/share/applications/</ItemDir>
>   <ItemDir>/home/users/ross/bin/gnome2/share/applications/</ItemDir>
>   <Folder>
>     <Name>Root</Name>
>     <Parent>applications-all-users:///</Parent>
>     <Folder>
>       <Name>Preferences</Name>
>       <ParentLink>preferences:///</ParentLink>
>     </Folder>
>   </Folder>
> </VFolderInfo>
>
> Specifically, the second <ItemDir> line.  I want to tell my local
> applications vfolder that I have installed a lot of G2 apps from source
> into ~/bin/gnome2 and I would like to see the icons, please.
>
> That line works fine if I drop it into the applications-all-users file
> in /etc, which is why I think it should work...

This is because the ItemDir/MergeDir file pool only applies to folders
defined in that .vfolder-info.

I'm not sure if we should allow overriding in the way you are trying to
do it.  Let me think about it some.

Other possibilities are adding <ItemDir>~/bin/gnome2</Itemdir> to the
applications-all-users.vfolder-info, or copying
applications-all-users.vfolder-info to applications.vfolder-info in the
user vfolder location and changing the ItemDir there.

-Alex

--
 on the canvass of life, incompetence is my paintbrush.