Re: Keyboard shortcuts for launching applications

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 17:10, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> These days, pretty much every keyboard is full of multimedia keys.
> The real issue is that there are no real keyboard "drivers" for X,
> and no preconfigured mappings exist, so these keys must be xmodmapped
> manually. But if we aren't going to use the keys that are actually
> made for starting the web browser/etc... because they aren't on all
> keyboards, why are we going to bother with any keys that aren't?
> I know the machine I'm on right now doesn't have windows keys. It
> has very few multimedia keys for that matter too, but that is the
> price of simplicity and nice hardware.
>
> I'll also restate that I don't think this belongs in metacity, and
> setting/changing the defaults for the command keys to do things,
> with no real user-visible way of seeing what they do, aside from
> the fact that if you mistype and hit some keys, mozilla starts up,
> is not a solution to the problem. But eh, what troubled times we
> are in.

Geez, I can't believe nobody put it forward. It belongs to acme.

acme is your friend, blah blah blah, use my toy ;)

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when
there is no longer anything to take away.
						Antoine de Saint-Exupery