Metacity won't compile

I was hacking Metacity and seriously screwed it up so I decided to
recheckout the sources to a clean directory.  Now when I compile my
compiler chokes on these three lines in ui.c:

GdkDisplay *gdisplay;

gdisplay = gdk_x11_lookup_xdisplay (xdisplay);
gscreen = gdk_display_get_screen (gdisplay, screen_number);

I grepped the gtk directory and found no refrences to GdkDisplay,
gdk_x11_lookup_xdisplay or gdk_display_get_screen.  I have since rebuilt
the whole Gnome 2.0 tree from clean sources and still choke on this.
Everything else compiles fine.

What am I doing wrong.

--
J5