Re: problem with building pango-1.0.4 and pangoxft2

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 05:25:15PM +0100, mike wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 17:00, mike wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 10:04, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > > On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 05:49:19AM +0100, mike wrote:
[...]
> > > Umm ... XftFreetype.h is part of the XFree86 development packages, not
> > > freetype.
> >
> > that what I said ie: Xft1

As the following two quoted paragraphs explain, it _is_ picking up the
freetype2 packages and you have a syntax errors in your header. The
problem is with your freetype-devel installation.

> > > The error you are seeeing above shows that you have freetype 2.0.3
> > > installed on your system (tterrors.h is only included in 2.0.3, not in
> > > 2.0.4 or later) and that there is some problem with that file. I would
> > > suggest checking your freetype installation for problems here.
> >
> > > All the configure script is doing is trying to run a small program that
> > > does #include <freetype/internal/tterrors.h> from the freetype2 (not
> > > freetype1) headers and that include is failing due to syntax errors.

[...]
> > > My guess would be that the wrong pkg-config is being run and it is
> > > accidently picking up the pango 1.1.1 file this way ('which
> > > pkg-config' should show you this, too).
>
> OK - this was one problem it was using pkg-config in /usr/bin - but
> surely pkconfig should not pick up .pc files not in PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Quoting from the pkg-config manual page:

	"By default, pkg-config looks in the directory
	prefix/lib/pkgconfig for these files; it will also look in the
	colon-separated list of directories specified by the
	PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable."

So pkg-config is behaving correctly.

Malcolm

--
The hardness of butter is directly proportional to the softness of
the bread.