Re: new vfolder questions

Hi,

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 17:31, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade Red Hat to newer gnome-vfs, and am having
> trouble figuring out how it all works:
>
>  - what are <Parent> and <ParentLink>, and how are they different?

<ParentLink> makes the folder containing it essentially a symlink to the
referenced URL.  This is so you can refer to things like
applications:///Favorites/foo.desktop and have it resolve correctly.

<Parent> means that the folder's content is derived from the referenced
URL.  Changes to these derived children mean the file is copied to the
user's private stash before changes are made.  The user's private copy
will override the derived child (though they appear to refer to the same
thing, url-wise).

>  - what are the -all-users variants, vs without?

-all-users is the system-global administrator version of the url
scheme.  Changes made to the -all-users version will be immediately
reflected in all user's preferences: and applications: menus on the
system, even if the user has edited their menus.

-Alex

--
 on the canvass of life, incompetence is my paintbrush.