Re: Are Bounce and Slow keys mutually exclusive ?

Jody,

The attached email provides the rational for why the first version of
AccessX made SlowKeys and BonceKeys mutually exclusive (both Sun and
DEC introduced X versions with this feature). The reason it was put in
is BounceKeys users won't be able to use the system if SlowKeys is also
on and its acceptance time is >0. The original designers of the
functionality in AccessX raised this point with us when AccessX was
being designed, we agreed it was a problem and put in the exclusivity.
I don't know why other platforms allow them to both be on given the
above.

Earl

> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:42:26 -0400
> To: earl johnson <Earl Johnson sun com>
> Cc: calum benson sun com, bill haneman sun com, desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Are Bounce and Slow keys mutually exclusive ?
> From: Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org>
>
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:00:40AM -0700, earl johnson wrote:
> > Having radiobuttons designed so you have to add a third button that
> > says don't select either one of those other 2 buttons seems bogus to me.
>
> The initial design used stock checkboxes but put in place the
> exclusion with to visible rationale for it.  Before talking about UI
> can we please get a normative response on whther they actually are
> mutually exclusive ?  XKB makes them distinct the sun AccessX
> extension makes them conflict.  Which is correct ?
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Bill,

I checked other art and also found no mention of exclusivity (which CDE
implements). Having said this, the reason CDE implements exclusivity is
because Mark Novak, the designer from Trace Research who first
implemented AccessPak (DOS version of AccessX) and was directly
involved in AccessX's design, said exclusivity was required. Compaq's
version of AccessX also implemented the exclusivity. The following
hilites why: SlowKeys requires a key to be held down for a specific
length of time before the system accepts the key press.  BounceKeys on
the other hand only accepts the first keypress of the user and requires
time off the key before it will accept a press on the same key again.
What combining these 2 functions together means for a user who needs
BounceKeys (i.e. the user has tremors) is that they will never be able
to get the system to accept a keypress from them because they are
physically unable to fulfill what SlowKeys requires of them.  Luckily,
I don't believe the SlowKeys user will be effected if BounceKeys is
also on.

This is why I believe the bug is appropriate. There is a workaround in
case this bug can't be fixed in the first release of GNOME 2 - the
BounceKeys user can set the acceptance delay of SlowKeys to 0 seconds

See the following for more discussion on BounceKeys and SlowKeys:
	http://docs.sun.com/?p=/doc/806-2901/6jc3a4m21&a=view#accessxapp-14258

ej

> [...]
>
> Note that other 'prior art' in the area of GUIs for AccessX  (other than
> the CDE version) as developed by Dan Linder and distributed for some
> time by the UIUC Rehab Department includes both BounceKeys and SlowKeys
> controls in the same GUI, without exclusivity.
>
> So I do not believe that this is a regression in any meaningful sense of
> the word.  Changing the GNOME AccessX GUI to make Bounce and Slow keys
> mutually exclusive would result in a limitation for a (presumably small)
> subset of users.
>
> regards,
>
> -Bill
>

> On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 00:45, alan coopersmith sun com wrote:
> >  Bug Id: 4743379
> >  Product: gnome
> >  Category: gnome
> >  Subcategory: accessibility
> >  Release summary: gnome2.0_beta2
> >  Bug/Rfe/EOU: bug
> >  State: dispatched
> >  Development Status:
> >  Synopsis: keyboard a11y capplet allows both BounceKeys & SlowKeys to be on
at once
> > The GNOME keyboard accessibility control panel allows turning on both the
> > BounceKeys & SlowKeys features at the same time.  These features should
instead
> > be grouped together and be mutually exclusive - the only valid states should
be:
> > 	- both off
> > 	- BounceKeys on, SlowKeys off
> > 	- SlowKeys on, BounceKeys off
> >
> > Having both on at the same time should not be a valid state.
> >  Justification:
> > Regression from CDE AccessX GUI
> >  Work around:
> > Run the old motif AccessX GUI under GNOME to get the correct behaviour.
> >  Suggested fix:
> >
> >  State triggers:
> > 	Accepted: no
> > 	Evaluation complete: no
> > 	Evaluation:
> >
> > 	Commit to fix in releases:
> > 	Fixed in releases:
> > 	Integrated in releases:
> > 	Verified in releases:
> > 	Closed because:
> > 	Incomplete because:
> >  Duplicate of:
> >  Introduced in Release:
> >  Root cause:
> >  Program management:
> >  Fix affects documentation: no
> >  Exempt from dev rel: no
> >  Fix affects L10N:
> >  Interest list: X-GNOME-Access sun com
> >  Patch id:
> >  Comments:
> >
> >  See also:
> >  Hooks:
> > 	Hook 1(hook1):
> > 	Hook 2(hook2):
> > 	Hook 3(hook3):
> > 	Hook 4(hook4):
> > 	Hook 5(hook5):
> > 	Hook 6(hook6):
> >  History:
> > 	Submitter:            alanc	Date: Sep  6 2002  5:45PM
> > 	Dispatch Operator:    bugtraq	Date: Sep  6 2002  5:45PM

--- End Message ---