Re: that darned accessibility capplet

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 03:43, Bill Haneman wrote:

> >> I think they are useful, but question whether "Keyboard" is the right
> >> place for them.  For instance, "Keyboard sounds" seem more closely
> >> related to system sounds.
> >
> >Almost every setting is "useful". Its just they're varying degrees of
> >useful. Is this really something that more than 5-10% of users will
> >change? Is it really important that it be changeable by more than 1% of
> >users? If the answer to those is "no" (I think it is), IMO its a crack
> >preference, and we should just pick a good default and run with it.
> >
> >> Likewise cursor-blink rate seems like something that belongs in "theme".
> >
> >?!? WTF. Why don't we just have themes changing every single setting on
> >the system? This is lunacy.
>
> Cursor blink is an appearance characteristic, and is currently specifiable via
> GTK+ RC files (though I doubt that is the preferred way of setting
> this any longer).

That its implemented technically as part of the GTK RC file is, IMO, of
little interest. EVERYTHING AFFECTS APPEARANCE, because if it doesn't
its not user visible and who cares anyway. Its an irrelevant argument,
the real question is where to draw the line.

> Does it make any more sense to put it in 'keyboard' ?

No, I think it makes sense not to put it anywhere.

-Seth