Re: metacity busy cursor [was Re: Update: 2.2 Proposed Modules List]

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:45:18PM +0000, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Well, we could cook up some way to have the temporary tasklist icon
> > "active" and the focus would be nowhere during that time, I suppose.
> >
> > Havoc
>
> yikes, this sounds like an accessibility issue to me.  Focus is supposed
> to just "disappear".

Well, we could focus the panel (and the tasklist button for the task
being launched).

> If the app is mapped onscreen it should be responsible for its own busy
> cursor, don't you think?  So this only concerns what happens prior to
> the app posting a toplevel window.

Yes, that's what we're discussing.

> Personally I think any application that takes that long before posting a
> window has problems; a modest-sized "loading" dialog might be a better
> solution that trying to pretty this up in the WM.

The app can't open a loading dialog because the app hasn't started
up. ;-)

Much of the start time for Mozilla, OpenOffice, and many KDE apps is
in sucking bits off the disk to get their initial GUI going, so they
haven't even entered main() yet.

But even say gnome-terminal takes quite some time to open a new
window, if you aren't using factory mode. gnome_program_init() isn't
the fastest thing on earth.

Havoc