Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 13:28, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hey Joe,

> > > And we continue to do so.  The issue of contention was gstreamer tries
> > > to use a 2 MB thread[0] stack.  FreeBSD's thread[0] stack is only 1 MB.
>
> Is this only an issue for the first thread ? Or for every thread ? We can
> drop the stack size per thread to 1 MB.  The only big problem here is
> lame.  Lame is teh suck and uses lots of stack space.

Yes, this is only for the main thread (thread[0], first thread, etc.).
Any thread that's created with pthread_create() can have an arbitrary
stacksize up to the stacksize rlimit.  Note, FreeBSD has a 64K default
thread stacksize.  This is different than Linux as Nautilus 2
demonstrated in its thumbnail code.

> > > Changing gstreamer accordingly fixed the problem.  Moving forward, it
> > > might be nice if gstreamer could spawn another thread using
> > > pthread_attr_setstacksize to allocate the stack just the way they want,
> > > and leave the main thread alone.
>
> Yeah, but we're trying to move away from pthread magic ;) also,
> setstacksize is in the "unspported" area according to glibc people.

setstacksize is the way to do it in FreeBSD, but if you're trying to
move to a more portable solution, that's very cool.  Let me know if you
need any FreeBSD-specific input or testing.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus FreeBSD org